Thursday, September 15, 2005

Ode To Rach

There is just way too much that has happened since the last time I posted to go there right now! I've got lots of funny and bizarre stories that may or may not make the cut, but more to come later.
Right now I want to talk about one of my soon to be former co-workers. I found out last week that one of my favorite people I work with is leaving us (I say us, but really I mean me). This person is amazing in every way that someone can be amazing. She is smart, funny, adorable, considerate, a jack of all trades, and a master at almost everything. Who the hell is going to proof read my memos for grammatical errors now?! I love the fact that she knows the definition of every word known to man kind, can use it in a sentence, and spell it. I still need to have my "comma discussion" before she goes. She knits like a bandit. She is knitting her wedding dress for crying out loud! Who does that?
When I first starting working there, she was one of the first people I met and immediately liked. Everyone likes/loves/lurves her. If you don't, then you have a serious mental incapacity and should not read any further because I am going to talk about her all through this post. She was my partner on the midnight shift for the longest, and I was grateful for that. She has the answers for everything, but she isn't one of those people who flaunts her intelligence. I confided a lot in her (everyone does that too) because I knew that she can keep a secret better than anyone. She is probably the only person I've ever worked with that didn't fight me about the temperature and the lighting in our cave. And it wasn't because she was afraid too either, if that's what you're thinking.
She is a kick ass and take names dispatcher. Always has been, always will be. She never gets bitchy with anyone. That used to annoy me because I thought she was letting people walk over her. It's a quality I've come to admire because she has always known what others are still learning; and that is it just isn't worth it. The fact that she has been able to maintain that attitude for the past six years she's been there is completely beyond me. We all used to make fun of her and call her "A.M. love" cuz she has this sultry, soft voice that comes over the radio like honey on a biscuit. I never get tired of hearing her dispatch.
I am just so fucking sad she is leaving. There have been plenty who have come and gone before her, but this one hits really close to home. It's a bitter pill to swallow knowing that one of the most valued and loved dispatchers is leaving, and there is nothing anyone can do. Too little, too late. It sucks ass!
Rach, I love ya and I wish you the best. I know you will be a success no matter where you go and what you do. It's just who you are. And don't think your leaving lets you off the hook for letting me have a sneak peak at your finished product! I know where you live, and where you work! See you around.....

6 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger DCLastCall said...

Yeah! A new post. Ok, now I have to schedule time to actually return and read it!

DcLc

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger DCLastCall said...

The description you provided, was it "honey on a biscuit" was brilliant. From my own experience during high tension events, a cool calm voice over the radio is a necessity.

We all loose those who we grow so close to in work spaces. But, that rule does not need to apply to your personal life.

10-42~

DcLc

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger kelly said...

dc: Yes, I said honey on a biscuit. It kind of made me hungry when I wrote it. LOL! I know her and I will remain friends, but it's sucks when it's someone you really like working with too, ya know?

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger kelly said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger coley said...

Great tribute Kel... I'll miss her as well!!!!

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger B.E.G said...

Great post, yes we will all miss Rach.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home